As I write this post, I am sipping on a pumpkin spice latte and dreaming about all things squash and apple. I know, I know. I try to hold off until at least October but after a 8 hour delay in the airport, pumpkin flavored coffee seemed absolutely necessary. Therefore, it would be a bit of a stretch to say that I am still holding onto summer produce as we quickly head into fall.
Yet, as I get older and grow in this culinary experience, I have a newfound appreciation for the seasonal availability of favorite foods. I am posivitly giddy for the first signs of strawberries and tomatoes at the market and equally as excited for pumpkin and apple… everything. Since the garden has not yet transitioned over to fall favorites, why not take advantage with this simple zucchini tart?
Created for a girls-night in, this tart is delicious at room-temperature and easy enough to throw together in under 30 minutes. Thinly sliced zucchini pop on the otherwise colorless shell. If you’d like to cut down on some of the added fat and calories in the puff pastry, substitute a pizza or flatbread crust.
- 1 puff pastry crust, defrosted
- 3-4 large zucchini, thinly sliced (by hand or mandoline)
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 12 oz. firm tofu
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic- minced
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- Cooking spray or 1 tsp. olive oil
- Unroll crust from packaging, lightly flatten out with a rolling pin and place on lightly floured baking sheet or stone.
- Drain and mash tofu with a fork and add to a medium-size bowl. Add in lemon juice and zest, garlic, basil, parsley and pinch salt. Stir together till combined.
- Using a pastry spreader, back of a spoon or butter knife, lightly spread the ricotta mixture onto the crust, leaving a small border on each side. (You may have extra ricotta left over, don't worry! just add it to cooked pasta tomorrow night.)
- Layer the zucchini onto the ricotta layer as shown. Spray crust with cooking spray or use olive oil to brush the crusts.
- Bake in a 400F oven for 30 minutes until lightly browned.