Layers of oats, nuts, seeds and chocolate! Topped with a dairy-free magic-shell chocolate topping. These bars are both gluten-free and vegan!
Triple Chocolate Granola Bars.
Do I really need to say more?
Chocolate chips, chocolate covered pumpkin seeds & homemade chocolate magic-shell. All in a healthy, nutrient dense grab-and-go bar. Chocolate in the beginning, chocolate in the middle, and chocolate at the end. These might be the best granola bars I’ve ever made. The fact that they moonlight as a candy bar is just the chocolate icing on the cake.
I guess this would be a good time to tell you that for all of the chocolate, they also pack a healthy punch with these goodies:
Fiber & healthy fats in every bite. And did I mention, lots of chocolate?!
I love the crunch of adding various seeds to these bars. Besides being a good source of calcium and protein, they add an awesome texture! These work as an afternoon snack, breakfast, or dessert.
This month is definitely one of my favorite Recipe Redux themes: Bars & Bites for Brown Bags.
I’m a huge advocate for packing your own lunch. Not only do you end up saving a ton of money (like ~$1,000+ a year), but it’s also a great way to hold yourself accountable to your healthy eating goals.
I usually pack my lunch during the work week and 90% of the time it’s a salad of some sort. Since I am often running around in the evenings teaching classes or meeting with clients and friends, packing a salad for lunch is a sure-fire way for me to ensure I sneak in a few servings of vegetables each day.
But like any good meal, I don’t feel complete without a bit of chocolate at the end. These bars are my kryptonite. Anyone that’s been around me knows that 2PM is when I go hunting for my afternoon pick me up. Usually a cup of tea/coffee and a smidge of chocolate. Over the years, I’ve been able to downsize my portion to just a small bite, but I still need that little bit of sweetness to get me through the afternoon.
As such, these triple chocolate bars were born. A square of this does the trick!
I love the drizzle of my “magic-shell” topping, but if you’d prefer a more grain-based bar, you can omit it! When I’m not eating these, I keep them in the freezer for longer keeping! Wrapped tightly, they will last a few weeks in the freezer and up to a week in the fridge.
- 1¼ cups rolled oats
- 1½ cups brown rice crispy cereal
- ½ cup chocolate pumpkin seeds (like SuperSeedz brand. If you can't find chocolate pumpkin seeds, substitute another type of pumpkin seed or seed)
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp. brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped + 2 tbsp. chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- Line a 9" baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, crispy cereal, pumpkin seeds, unsweetened coconut, chia seeds, sesame seeds, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- In a small saucepan, melt together the brown rice syrup and peanut butter.
- Add the melted peanut butter to the bowl and stir until covered. It should be thick and almost hard to stir. Gently fold in the ¼ cup of chopped chocolate chips.
- Place the mixture into the baking pan and pat down. Use a pastry roller or wooden spoon to push down the mixture until hard and compact.
- Melt together the coconut oil and remaining 2 tbsp. chocolate chips. Whisk until smooth and drizzle over the bars. Freeze for at least 20 minutes until hard.
- Remove, slice as you like and enjoy! Keep the remaining bars in the fridge or freezer for quick snacking!
After you chew your way through these bars, be sure to check out my fellow Redux’ers as they take on Bars & Bites for packing a lunch!