Get ready for fall with this healthy chowder. Filled with fresh sweet corn, sweet potatoes, peppers and yellow squash. Vegan and Gluten-Free.
Summer —> Meet fall.
This chowder stitches the two seasons together perfectly. Sweet summer corn and yellow squash simmered in a light yet hearty broth of sweet potatoes and peppers. If you’re like me and just not quite ready for fall, lean in with this simple dinner.
I’ve had corn chowder on the brain since the beginning of July, when our annual corn consumption peaks. Yup, the perks of marrying a midwestern man. He wants all the corn, all the time. I can confidently say that I’ve eaten more corn in the last 6 years of knowing BL than I have in my previous 24 years of existence.
While I am usually happy to oblige his ‘Can we have more corn?!’ requests, I needed a break from our usual side of corn on the cob. Enter chowder.
I usually shy away from chowder dishes because they are typically filled with cream & butter. More of a gravy soup than a healthy, vegetable filled stew. However, this chowder is thickened with pureed potatoes and corn, without the need for heavy cream.
It’s a chowder you can feel good about when you go back to the stove for seconds, and thirds. Which, undoubtedly, you will. BL attacked bowl number three within an hour of me finishing the first batch.
Fresh corn is a must in this soup because without butter or cream to hide behind, the summer corn is the star. While I’m not an organic stickler on all my produce, I do seek out organic corn since most commercial corn is GMO. I’ve yet to find a supermarket other than our co-op or Whole Foods that sells organic corn on the cob; therefore, we rely heavily on our farmers’ markets to feed our supply. We’ve still got a few weeks left of the season so enjoy this one soon!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups yellow summer squash, diced
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup red bell peppers, diced
- Optional Garnishes: thinly sliced peppers or shredded cheese
- In a large soup pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and celery and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cayenne pepper, oregano, salt and stir together. Sprinkle the flour over the onion and stir constantly for 1 minutes until the flour starts to brown and coats the vegetables.
- Whisk in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the remaining ingredients: squash, sweet potatoes, corn, and red peppers.
- Stirring occasionally, simmer for an additional 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Ladle 2 cups of vegetables into a blender, pouring out as much broth as possible. Puree the vegetables in a blender until smooth.
- Add the pureed vegetables back to the pot and stir together. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until thickened.
- Serve, topping with additional garnishes if desired!